Contact us now

American Laws Related to Underage and Drug DUIs

American Laws Related to Underage and Drug DUIs

If you are a Canadian citizen planning on entering the United States, it is important that you understand their drunk or impaired driving laws. If you are under the age of 21, there is zero tolerance policy that is strictly enforced when it comes to drug or alcohol use. As a general rule, you could also face criminal charges if you have an illegal substance found in your system at the time of a traffic stop or accident.

What Is a Drug DUI?

A drug DUI occurs when an individual is impaired by a controlled substance or anything else that could impact an individual’s ability to drive safely. In some cases, you could get a drug DUI if you are impaired by prescription medication that you possess and consume legally.

What Is An Underage DUI?

If you are under the age of 21, you may not consume alcohol in the United States. All states have a policy that allows minors to be charged with a DUI if they have a blood alcohol content of .02 percent or higher. Penalties may be increased if their blood alcohol content is higher than .08 percent, which is the legal limit for those over 21 in America.

What Are the Possible Penalties for a DUI?

There are many possible penalties such as a fine up of to $1,000 or more for a first offense as well as spending time in jail. For multiple offenses, individuals may spend up to a year in jail while also seeing their fine increased. Drivers who have one or more drug or underage DUI may have their license suspended for a year. This is in addition to possible insurance increases of up to $200 a month or more. It is important to speak to an impaired driving lawyer Calgary to protect yourself.

Do the Charges Come Off of Your Record?

As a Canadian citizen, you may not have a criminal record within the country if your offenses took place in America. However, the charges may be seen by employers or colleges doing a background check in the country. This is because the charges are not sealed unless you request for them to be. It is generally true even if you have been acquitted of the crime in question.

It is never a good idea to operate a motor vehicle if you have been under the influence of drugs or alcohol. However, if you have been charged with such a crime, it may be necessary to call upon an impaired driving lawyer Calgary. He or she may be able to get the charges reduced or even dropped completely.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *